Friday 25 January 2008

You mean we’re eating Flopsy?/Dresses


Writing Maternity had a narrow escape from dealing with an even trickier explanation than why boys probably shouldn't wear pink trainers to rugby practice.

The Meat Question.

I actually stumbled headlong into that one myself the other week when watching "Charlotte's Web" (Charlotte, I'm so sorry).  I can't believe I actually mumbled "Mmmm! Sausages!" (Look, I'm sure the original book is marvelous but really…), forgetting that dudelet has the ears of a bat for anything he shouldn't be hearing.

"Sausages? Why did you say sausages?"  That's when someone shot me with the Stupid Gun.

"Well, you know what sausages are made of?"

"No." Questioning look.

Long pause.

"Where's your GameBoy?"

I got away with it.  He isn't ready yet to know the truth about pigs and sheep.  Or cows. Or rabbits.  Or buffalo (note - buffalo burgers - low in saturated fats and absolutely delicious).  Or deer, rabbits, ducks, chickens…I think he's put two and two together about fish (though the consequences for Nemo have probably escaped him) but heaven only knows what he thinks about the rest.

But when will he be ready?  And how do I tell him?  And is there ever any end to these awkward conversations lining up ominously into the future?

Conversely, how do the vegetarians out there cope when their darling turns into red-handed carnivore?  Actually, if you're a vegetarian, there's plenty of advice out there but the rest of us are on our own.

So what  am I going to tell him when he finally asks me where sausages come from?  The truth.  What happens then is up to him.

Meanwhile, following on from the Thursday's post, my cousin just sent dudelette a gorgeous brown party dress for a three to six month old. One of the most elegantly tasteful pieces of baby clothing we've been given yet.  Supermum held it up and we both looked at it and chorused "Cute!"  What's happening to us? How can I even be considering the idea of dresses? And why did no-one tell me how complicated girls are?

(un)relaxeddad Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:38:07 +0000


Source: http://relaxedparents.com/2008/01/25/you-mean-were-eating-flopsydresses/
--
To unsubscribe from this feed, click here
To manage other subscriptions, click here
~
Powered by RssFwd, a service of Blue Sky Factory, Inc

No comments: