Monday 11 February 2008

But, Girls Can Be Firefighters

There comes a time in every modern parent's life when their child says something, and it dashes your hopes for the future.

Maybe I'm being too dramatic, but my Preschooler told me on Friday that "girls aren't firefighters." She didn't actually say "girl's can't be firefighters," so maybe there's still hope.

This had come up because her older sister's Girl Scout Troop was scheduled to visit our local firehouse, and there was an actual female firefighter expected to lead the tour. As I was preparing my Three-Year-Old for her official role as invited sibling, I was confronted with societal stereotypes and their impact on our children. This despite the fact that she plays "firefighter" almost daily at her preschool. I also thought she was doing a good job sorting through stupid gender-based roles, especially since the famous "Police Chief Daddy" discussion. ... read more >>

No comments: