Friday 29 February 2008

How to Prevent a Meltdown in your Child

If you're a parent of a toddler, then dealing with temper tantrums or meltdowns are probably a daily occurrence. Young kids who are still learning how to talk and express themselves are easily frustrated. They want something, but they don't know how to say (or get) it. As a result, they resort to screaming, crying, throwing themselves on the floor, whining, pitching a hissy fit, or worse yet, having a complete meltdown.

Getting your kids to listen during these episodes is not an easy task, so it may also be common for you as a parent or caregiver to get frustrated at the same time. As a Dad, I have a particularly hard time dealing with meltdowns. I hate whining, and I would rather ignore bad behavior than validate it with a sympathetic response. Toddlers require a little more patience and understanding though, so I have forced myself to try and help my young son get past these episodes and learn how to express himself more clearly up front. ... read more >>

No comments: