Sunday 24 February 2008

Story time with Zoë - Volume 3

I remember the first time Zoë read Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman on her own. It seemed to take an eternity, each turn of the page leaving her stumbling over and phonetically attempting to sound out words. I would start a word giving her the sounds and she would finish it. We repeated the process page after page my frustration level rising though not in proportion to her excitement level as the end of the book neared. "Look how much I've read, Daddy," she would exclaim after every couple of pages. She refused every offer and attempt of mine to take over the reading and let her just listen to the story. She was on a mission. By the time she had finished I was completely spent. She was totally stoked. "How many pages was that? Did you see me? Daddy, look. I just read this whole book!" Pride transformed my weariness and my frustration dissipated. ... read more >>

No comments: